Register for a Baptism
To register for a baptism please complete and send the below form as soon as possible, so that your preferred date can be checked an confirmed. May we also ask that you read the notes below before applying. Thankyou.
1. As a parent or godparent you should ask yourself:
- Are you prepared to the best of your ability to give the child a Christian upbringing within the family of Christ’s Church?
- Will you help the child to be regular in public worship and in prayer, not only by your teaching but also by your example and your prayers?
- Will you encourage the child in due time to come to Confirmation and Communion?
It is not essential under Church law for parents to be baptised and confirmed unless they are to be godparents.
2. It is usual to have three godparents, two of the same sex as the child and one of the opposite sex, but to have one godfather and one godmother is sufficient if there are problems finding three godparents.
- Parents may be godparents to their own children, provided that the child has at least one other godparent.
- Sponsors in addition to godparents are permitted.
- Church law requires that godparents should be baptised and confirmed, but the requirements of confirmation can be relaxed in certain cases.
3. If the candidate is no longer a child, sponsors, who like godparents should normally be baptised and confirmed, may take the place of godparents.
4. A child should normally be baptised at his or her parish church or the church the parents normally attend.